Quinoa Black Bean & Corn Chili
No matter what time of year it is, I always find comfort in a bowl of chilli: the warming spices, enjoyed curled up beside a roaring fire, or under a blanket on a cool summer’s evening, gazing up at the stars… Semi-romantic in description, granted, but this bowl of chilli undeniably has a hug-in-a-bowl quality about it. Feel free to add in more veggies (I just stuck with the basics to avoid any chopping, and it’s already loaded with a wonderful variety of plant-sourced goodness).
Preparation Time - 5 minutes
Cooking Time - 30 minutes
Servings - 4
- 170g (uncooked weight) Just Natural Organic tri colour quinoa
- 2 tbsp Organic Kitchen extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil, if preferred)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Just Natural Organic garlic granules (or 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 ½ tbsp Just Natural Organic ground chilli
- 2 tsp Just Natural Organic ground cumin
- 1 tsp Just Natural Organic oregano
- 1 tsp Just Natural Organic paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 225g Organic Kitchen passata
- 1 x 400g tin Organic Kitchen chopped tomatoes
- 500ml water; divided 375ml + 125ml
- 1 x 400g tin Organic Kitchen black beans, drained and rinsed
- 150g sweetcorn, canned or frozen
- 30g dark chocolate, 70-90%
- Juice of one lime
- Salt to taste
- Avocado (to serve)
- Dairy-Free Yogurt (to serve)
- Place the quinoa and 375ml of water in a pot. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the oil to a separate large pot, over a medium heat. Once hot, add the red onion and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and herbs, passata, chopped tomatoes, and remaining 125ml of water to the this large pot, bring to the boil, and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in the beans, sweetcorn, and cooked quinoa. Add in the dark chocolate. Leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes to thicken up.
- Season to taste with salt. Add the juice of one lime and stir through before serving.
- Serve topped with chunks of ripe avocado and a healthy dollop of dairy-free yogurt.