We all currently need alternative ways to spruce up our canned goods and, although I would usually cook lentils from scratch, throwing in tinned ones means this dahl comes together much more quickly.
I love to thicken up my sauces with nut or seed butters (tahini in this instance) and add a pop of extra colour and freshness with a handful of pomegranate seeds (actually known as arils, because of their outer sweet red flesh).
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Servings - 4
- 1 tbsp Organic Kitchen extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Just Natural Organic garlic granules (or 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 onion, finely diced (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and diced into bite-sized chunks
- 2 x 400g tins of Organic Kitchen lentils, drained and rinsed well
- 600ml Organic Kitchen passata (1.5 x 400g tins of Organic Kitchen chopped tomatoes)
- 1 tsp Just Natural Organic ground cumin
- 1 tsp Just Natural Organic ground coriander
- ½ tsp Just Natural Organic ground ginger
- ½ tsp Just Natural Organic cayenne pepper (or more, dependent on your desired level of spice!)
- 160ml water
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp sea salt, or to desired taste
- Fresh coriander, dairy-free or natural yogurt of choice, and a handful of pomegranate seeds/arils, to serve
- Heat oil in a large, deep pot.
- Add the garlic and onion if using fresh and cook out for 5 minutes. (If using powders, move straight to adding the squash to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.) Otherwise, cook for a further five minutes before adding the squash, if using fresh garlic and onion.
- Add the lentils through to the water. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tahini and stir through to combine. Allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- You may wish to add more liquid, depending on your desired consistency. I like mine super thick (think stick-to-the-ribs comfort food!).
- Serve topped with fresh coriander, dairy-free or natural yogurt of choice, and some beautiful red pomegranate arils/seeds.